An Athlete's Perspective: Top 10 Pregame Songs
Published: Thursday, September 30, 2010
Updated: Thursday, January 20, 2011 19:01
Editor's Note: Staff writer Mat Batts is a sophomore on the men's baseball team. The southpaw pitcher will be providing a unique athlete's perspective. Enjoy.
No matter what you sport you play or what level you play at, it is always important to be mentally prepared to perform. Music has often been used to get athletes in the "zone" for the best performance. I have put together a list of the top 10 songs that athletes should listen to prior to competing.
10. "Dani California"-Red Hot Chili Peppers A great song to start off your pre-game ritual. Good upbeat tempo that will help relax you before even the biggest games.
9. "Real World"-Matchbox Twenty Another upbeat song that will easily get your blood flowing.
8. "Back in Black"-AC/DC As your game time starts getting closer, this song will set off your adrenaline and have you ready to go.
7. "Gimme Three Steps"-Lynyrd Skynyrd You can't go wrong with Lynyrd Skynyrd, and this song is a great example of how his music can easily motivate and prepare an athlete for a big game.
6. "Paradise City"-Guns N' Roses A great classic rock song that will surely loosen your muscles and get you prepared.
5. "Rollin"-Limp Bizkit A bit dated and out of style, but if you are looking for a good, loud song to get you motivated, this song is the way to go.
4. "I Like It, I Love It"-Tim McGraw A favorite of many baseball players, this song will add a little twang to your pre- game ritual.
3. "TNT"-AC/DC With just minutes before game time, turning to ACDC is a must for athletes looking for an extra boost.
2. "Down With the Sickness"-Disturbed Even if you chose it just for the first minute of the song, Disturbed is sure to have you on the edge of you seat ready to play. 1. "Let The Bodies Hit The Floor"-Drowning Pool If the nature of the lyrics isn't enough to make the hair on the back of your neck stand, then the beat of this song surely will. It is great to listen to immediately before a big game because of the energy that will undoubtedly run throughout your body when the song ends.
Honorable mention: Thunderstruck-ACDC, Bawitdaba-Kid Rock, Jump Around-House of Pain.
Anyway you look at it, energy and motivation are two of the most important elements that an athlete needs to be successful. This list has provided a way to easily obtain those prior to any sporting event.